Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Love Song

First thing's first:


From about 2:30 til the end is possibly my favorite piece of music. It's so dynamic, well-made, and just flat out sonically gorgeous. Moving on....

I've been thinking recently (say, twelve minutes ago) about what I call God's "Theory of Originality." Paul writes in Galatians 5 and 6 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=galatians%205.25-6.10&version=MSG) about the importance of your life's uniqueness. My favorite bit is this:
"Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don't be impressed with yourself. Don't compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life."

I think the idea has the power to genuinely change lives; I know it's greatly affected mine. Just the notion of how comparing your being to another is futile is pretty awesome. The best I can figure it, we're all indescribably crafted individuals. Your parents don't meet, the womb's a little colder, you don't have some random experience when you're five, and your world can be altogether different. We're multifactorial creatures, to say the least. Why is that significant to this passage? Because God made, is making, and will ever make only one of you. At no space in time is there an exact replica. And because of that, we all have different capabilities, different weaknesses, different strengths, so to compare yourself to anyone else will always and forever be to weigh apples against oranges.

We have insecurities, we have shame, we have instances in which we never quite meet our or another's expectations. But as I'm keen to say, expectation is the root of all disappointment. I believe God's impression of us (if there is such a thing to the Creator who knows and is all) is in what we are doing at the present. The value in our lives is not to hit a standard, or meet an expectation, or be better than anyone who has been, is, or is to come; the most important thing we can do is to do what we can, where we are, with whom we're with. I don't think everything is relative; instead I propose that it's in varying absolutes. In any scenario your best remains your best. Five minutes later, things have changed and you are still capable of that best, though it may not match that of the situation prior.

In short, God made one of you, and he made you on purpose. The success of our life is not in achieving more than a little, or just short of a lot, but rather proving to be an enduring message and embodiment of love, hope, and grace. I thank God every day that besides being all of those things incarnate, he is also the creator of second chances. So even if I miss that first opportunity to do the creative best I can with my life, I exist in another one at that same moment. I guess you could say we're infinite in that respect, that we're perpetually in an opportunity. I think that through Grace, God allows that to be our reality, to exist every moment in an open window to try our best to be his likeness.

Super bad ass, if you ask me.



No comments:

Post a Comment